Tuesday, February 2

Cornbread's Favorite and Least Favorite Comics of the Week - 1/27

Hey Everyone! Cornbread here and I will be blogging weekly about my favorite and least favorite comics I read from the past week! I hope you enjoy.

January 27th, 2010

Seems like everyone had a big week this week.

Here are the titles that I picked up:

Green Lantern #50
Avengers: The Initiative #32 (Siege Tie-In)
New Avengers # 61 (Siege Tie-In)
X-Force #23 (Necrosha X Tie-In)
X-Men Legacy #232 (Necrosha X Tie-In)
Secret Warriors #12
Daredevil #504
Spiderman Clone Saga #5 of 6
Fantastic 4 #575
Hawkeye # 5 of 5 FINALLY
Amazing Spiderman # 619 (Gauntlet Tie-In)
Ms. Marvel #49

Favorite Title of the Week: Daredevil #504
*Warning* Possible Spoiler Alert

I just started reading Daredevil at issue 500 and I have been pleased with my choice to start reading it. Matt Murdock decided to take on the task of leading the deadly ninja clan the hand in order to stop the ninja army from falling into the hands of the Kingpin, also realizing that he needed the Hand as much as they needed him.

Daredevil decided that he would utilize the Hand to wage war on the corruption that has been spreading through the NYPD and the city government. Although Matt was able to stop the Hand from falling into the hands of the Kingpin, its not the last we have heard of good ol' Wilson Fisk. He has vowed to get his revenge on Daredevil and as the issues move on, is setting up a meticulous plan to gain control of the underworld, the Hand, and even Daredevil himself.
Although the Hand is proving to be a vital asset to Daredevil, but their harsh ways are taking its toll on Matt and his stern moral standpoint.

In this issue, Daredevil has decided to bring his war to the head honco himself, Norman Osborn and decides to wage a pre-emptive strike against him. This ultimately leads to Osborn's retaliation by sending Hammer troops against the hand and an all out battle breaks out. As soon as the battle begins it is over though, leaving the reader to use his imagination as to what exactly happened during the battle. The issue ends showing that Daredevil might have ditched his moral bounds with a pretty disturbing final page, but I wont ruin that for whoever is reading this, ill let you see if for yourself. And if you have read this issue, you understand how great this ending was.

This is the first book I've read from Andy Diggle, and I have not been let down yet and do not expect to be any time soon. As for the art of Roberto De la Torre, his dark and shadowy art is just what this books needs. It perfectly shows the deep dark emotions that are featured in this title and the darker color shades he uses give the pages that ominous feeling that Daredevil needs. In addition, the Cover art on this issue makes it hard to look away. Esad Ribic does a great job showing the emotional and moral trama Daredevil is facing, and the detail in his suit is sick...literally. It is a bit disturbing that you can see the individual bones in his spine, but its pretty cool at the same time.

9.6 out of 10

Least Favorite Title of the Week: Fantastic 4 #575
*Warning* Possible Spoiler Alert

Its hard for me to say that FF is my least favorite from this week, considering it is usually one of my more favorite titles. Right off the bat I want to say despite it was my least favorite, it is in no way a bad book. I enjoyed Hickman's writing just like I usually do, and you cant go wrong with Eaglesham's art. The main this that bothered me is that they left you with such an interesting plot point at the end of the last issue and did nothing with it.

At the end of the last issue, Val was contacted from Future Franklin, which was pretty cool if you ask me and I was very excited to see what was going to happen next with this story line, but I got no such satisfaction. Instead, I get a story about Moleman and the underground people. Although it was pretty cool, just wasn't what I wanted, thus leaving me highly disappointed.

I still can't tell if this was just a stand alone issue, or are they going to do more with the underground world storyline? I think it may be just a single issue story considering they had the little 4 in the bottom right hand corner instead of a to be continued and the fact that there is a little disclaimer after the last page leads me to believe that this is a lost storyline, at least till later maybe.

The thing I think that bothered me the most out of everything, was actually not part of the comic (I mean, it was but kinda not really). Anyways, in the issue when they are traveling to this lost city of the underworld, Reed mentions that he knows where he is going because it is where he buried Galactus from the Future. The picture was pretty freakin' sweet if you ask me, its hard to beat a mummified Galactus, but the thing that really bothered me is that they used this picture as the add for the issue in almost every other comic I read this week. What I mentioned before about what Reed said is the only reference to it, and is the only time this dead Galactus is shown. Like, if I had seen this add prior to reading the issue and/or buying the issue, I would have been so angry at the fact that it had nothing to do with Galactus at all.

6 out of 10


I hope you all enjoyed listening to my opinions about these comics, Ill be doing these reviews weekly so stay tuned for the next installment!

No comments:

Post a Comment