Monday, March 22

Cornbread's Favorite and Least Favorite Comics of the Week - 3/17

I had a big week in comics this week, but after talking to everyone else, it seems like I was the only one really. But alas, I was able to select a favorite and least favorite for this week and now all of you can read (or not read) about them.


Favorite Comic: Choker #2
*Warning Possible Spoiler Alert*


First off, I want to say that this book is beautiful. Templesmith's art really never lets me down. Also, the physical quality of the book itself is great as well, using high quality art paper for each and every page.

Aside from the way the book looks, this issue topped my list this week was the story and how it is developing. The events of this issue are even more messed up than the last, introducing the threat of man eating human monsters that seem to be attacking civilians in Shotgun city. This is on top of the introduction of a vampire attack in the last issue, which the reader still knows nothing about because it was hardly mentioned in this issue. I think it will be interesting if that in every issue McCool and
Templesmith introduce a new threat that Jackson has to deal with and then in the last issue(s) it all ties together and you learn how it is all connected to the (as of right now) main antagonist Cassidy.

In this issue you also learn a bit more about the main character Jackson. It is introduced that there is something wrong with his right hand, which is why it is always covered up with a glove, but the author does a great job of not letting the reader know really anything about it except that he takes medicine to fight it and it is some kind of evil force.

I am eagerly awaiting the release of the next issue and am hoping that it does not take a month for that to get here. This book reminds me a lot of Fell and that is awesome. And I have faith that the next issue will be just as great as this.

9 out of 10



Least Favorite Comic: X23: One Shot
*Warning Spoiler Alert*

I was fairly excited for this issue right when I picked it up I was slightly disappointed with it. The cover art is great, there is no getting around that, but as soon as you open the book you see that the interiors are no where as awesome as the cover and that all in all is disappointing.

When I started reading the book I was fairly hopeful because its starts off with X23, Wolverine, and Jubilee which would have proved to be an exciting adventure, but...nope X strays off by herself and starts talking about her past, which has been explained how many times now? Seriously, anyone who is a fan of the character knows what her past was like, we don't need to hear it again. It continues on to show a cool action scene with X, which was pretty cool, but then it reverts back to her dealing with her inner self fighting with the fact if she is just a animal killing machine, or a person who is more than that. Once again, I've heard it all before...didnt they do an arc about this in X-Force?

Anyways, the one upside about the book is that it was pretty hefty for a 4 dollar cover, I am surprised that Marvel didnt try to charge 5 dollars. But still, it may have been long, but the story was still boring and repetitive. Sure the part with her friends and stuff was interesting, and seeing her interactions with the Gamemaster in her head was kinda cool, but it wasn't enough to salvage the book. Maybe my hopes were too high? Or maybe it is just a mediocre book. I won't know till I talk to some other about it. But as of right now, I thought it was sub-par and X23 is one of my favorite X-Men, so I was pretty highly disappointed.

4 out of 10

1 comment:

  1. Glad I didn't pick up the X-23 one-shot I suppose. I can't say I'm surprised that it wasn't that good. I love the character to death, but she works much better in team stories, she doesn't need her own one-shot.

    ReplyDelete