Monday, March 15

Cornbread's Favorite and Least Favorite Comics of the Week - 3/10


Favorite Comic: Prelude to Deadpool Corps #2

This was the funniest comic I have read in a long time. I was kind of skeptical of how Deadpool Corps was going to be (being the 4th Deadpool monthly and all) since the first issue was just okay, but the second issue just blew me out of the water. First and foremost, Johnson's covers are fantastic, and I love how
he is doing a 5 part connecting cover for this mini. What made this book so great was how hilarious the alternate universe in the story was prefect. In this issue you are following Corps member Kidpool who is a smart ass Wade Wilson who is going to an Xavier institution and the story just has him harassing Cyclops the entire time, which I thought was great because I am not a fan of Mr. Summers. Aside from the constant harassment, there is a witty Professor X who is trying to get with Emma Frost the entire time, which proves to be hilarious.

In addition to being an all around great book, this issue has helped me in making a difficult decision I have been faced with...whether I like the way Gishler (Merc w/a Mouth) writes Deadpool or how Way (Deadpool) writes the character. If Deadpool Corps proves to be good, and if Merc keeps being a solid book I think I am going to have to pick it up.

In addition to being an all around great book, this issue has helped me in making a difficult deciion I have been faced with...whether I like the way Gishler ( Merc w/ a mouth) writed Deadpool or how Way (Deadpool) writes the character. If Deadpool Corps proves to be good, and if Merc keeps being a solid book I think I am going to side with Gishler, but only time will tell. Regardles, I am excited for the next installment of this Mini Series next week.

10 out of 10


Least Favorite Comic: Batman: Widening Gyre #5


Okay, so first and foremost I know a lot of people are probably thinking....man how could this a$$hole like this book least!? But I do have so legit reasons as to why I am making this claim.

First I want to say that the book was beautifully written and Kevin Smith has once again produced a great book. My big flaw with it, and why I have it listed as my least favorite book of the week is because I was just expecting so much more. As I was reading the book I was waiting for this great twists and surprises and I got next to none. So far with all of the issues there have been great cliff hangers that have concluded the book, such as Catwoman showing up at the end of issue 4 and Aquaman at the end of issue 3. And since I wont ruin the end of the issue for everyone, let me just say that the cliff hanger did live up to the past issue and that is why I was so disappointed.

There were some redeeming parts about this issue though. First off, the way they drew Catwoman was great, it had that classic Catwoman feel to it and she looked very hot. Plus, the conversation she had with Batman was hilarious, classic Kevin Smith dialogue. Also, the small part they had about the Joker was quite funny as well.

So overall it was a pretty decent read, just that I was expecting more and there were a lot of great books this week. Also, since it is the second to last installment of this mini series I thought that there would be a major cliff
hanger leading into the last issue with a major battle or something along those lines. I just hope it wraps up well because it has been awesome and Kevin Smith never seems to let me down and I dont think he is going to start now.

6.5 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment