Sunday, January 30

Superman Returns (Again)

Looks like Zack Snyder has found his leading man for his upcoming Superman reboot, tentatively subtitled Man of Steel and set for a December 2012 release. Tudors star Henry Cavill will be donning the cape and tights to take on the title role. Says Zack Snyder of the decision in Entertainment Weekly, “In the pantheon of superheroes, Superman is the most recognized and revered character of all time, and I am honored to be a part of his return to the big screen....I also join Warner Bros., Legendary and the producers in saying how excited we are about the casting of Henry. He is the perfect choice to don the cape and S shield.”

I cannot claim to be an avid follower of Superman. In fact I know very little about him. Similarly, I have seen very little of Cavill in terms of his previous work. That being said, I can certainly visualize him in the role, at least as far as looks go. Little else is known about Man of Steel, other than the fact that Snyder will be shooting from a script by Batman Begins scribe David S. Goyer, based on a story treatment developed with Christopher Nolan (Inception, The Dark Knight). Nolan will also serve as a producer on the film.

As far as the story goes, I hope we see Supes going up against a super-powered villain (he has plenty in his rogues' gallery). Sure, Lex Luthor is iconic, but I think we have seen enough of him as the central baddie. Bring on Zod, Doomsday, or Darkseid, someone that is a real threat to our hero, or at least whose primary advantage in battle isn't kryptonite.

As for casting, I'm not really sure. Since there doesn't seem to be any word as to what characters will be appearing yet, cast speculation seems rather pointless. Now, I know there were many....

Click here to read more.

No comments:

Post a Comment