Thursday, October 28

Soldier Zero #1



I remember hearing a few months back that Stan Lee was creating some all-new original characters, and at first I was kind of annoyed with since, since I feel as though Stan Lee has made a joke of himself in recent years. I could not have been more wrong. I opened this book, and by page three. I was sucked in.
The story revolves around a Afghanistan veteran who was paralyzed during his tour of duty, and how he is coping with it. While this story is being followed, it is paralleled by the story of an intergalactic fighter, Soldier Zero.

I applaud Mr. Lee on his character model and origin story with this character. It does a great job of meshing a relevant, real life situation with the futuristic, scientific content that a lot of readers are looking for. Also, I really like how this issue was used primarily to introduce the reader to the two characters, and then segue into how their paths cross with a terrific end of issue cliffhanger.

The writing of acclaimed writer Paul Cornell, best known for his work on the television show Dr. Who. I applaud him on his interesting and well thought out dialogue, especially being able to capture the awkward first date feel of conversation almost to a tee in the story. I am really interested to see how he takes this character and runs with it in this first story arc.

I am really happy that I enjoyed this new series so much, especially because I was pre-disposed to disliking the series in the first place. Thank you Stan Lee, you have renewed my faith, I am sorry for ever doubting you. You sir, are the master.

10 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment