Thursday, October 28

Deadpool Max #1



Yet again I find myself reading a new Deadpool series, another ongoing one nonetheless. I feel as though Deadpool is spread to thin, and Marvel just isn’t letting up. But since I am a fan of the character, I thought I would check out the book and give it a chance.

The thing I was most hesitant about when it came to this book was that the art was being done by Kyle Baker, an artist that has a really unique style that I usually do not like at all. And in this case, I thought the art was okay, nothing special, but very unique, not in a bad way though. One thing that I was happy with was the writing since it was done by Eisner award winning artist, David Lapham, it was interesting, it had good momentum, and it all wrapped up in one issue which I always like about a comic because it allows for new readers to join the comic at anytime.

Now was the disappointing part about the issue. This is part of the Max comic line from Marvel, so when I open the book I expect it to be over the top adult content with lots of violence, blood, and profanity but this book was lacking all three which was disappointing. There were a few F-bombs here and there, and the last 5 pages or so were full of death and destruction at the hands of Deadpool, but it was nowhere close to the violence I expected in this issue. I feel as though since it is Deadpool it should be extremely violent, laced with humor but it was neither of those things. This book could pass for a non-max series just by censoring the few swears it does contain.

All in all, the book contained a good story and the art was decent. The thing it lacked was the content that everyone expects from a Max comic. I think that Lapham and Baker should take a page from Jason Aaron and Steve Dillion because their work on Punisher Max is some of the best. I hope that the next issue improves on what it is lacking and fans get the book they were all hoping for.

6 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment