Thursday, October 28

Machete #0


When I was given the task of reviewing the zero issue of the comic adaptation of Machete, three things went through my head. Number one, why are they making a comic adaptation of Machete? Two, why is there a zero issue? And three, how bad is it going to be? Well after finishing the issue, only one of my questions was answered. How bad was it? It was pretty bad.

As I opened the cover of the book and read the first few pages, the main thing I noticed was how horrible the dialogue was. It was hard to follow, it was poorly written, and it did not let the reader develop an understanding of the story at all, and because of this, I really did not have any idea what was going on until the middle of the issue where I finally gained a loose understanding.


I tried not to let the writing ruin the issue for me though, so I decided to focus more on the art. The art style of the book has this dark mysteriousness to it, leaving a dreary feel to kind of emphasize the shady events that are occurring in the story. At first I thought this was cool, but as I continued to read I discovered that it so I could hardly follow the story based on the art and that it inhibited the story more than it added to it.


Finally, about half way through the book the main character of the story showed up, Lopez, who is portrayed by Danny Trejo in the movie version. When this occurred, I kind of got a better understanding of the story, but by this time the book was almost over, not much more was added to the overall story.

Overall, this book was pretty disappointing. The story seems like it was half complete, and I feel as though the only way a reader could have any idea what is going on in the issue would be to see the movie, and since I haven’t seen the movie for all I know the movie is a whole different story just featuring the same main character. The writing is horrible, and the art is nothing special. If you were a fan of the movie I say check it out, if not, I’d steer clear


1 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment