Thursday, October 28

Kick-Ass 2 #1



Last week when I heard that this issue was coming out, I had almost forgot that Mark Millar and John Romita Jr. were going to make a sequel to Kick-Ass. At first I was excited, then I was disappointed when I heard that the book was going to follow what happened in the movie, and not what happened in the previous comic series. But after finally reading the comic, I am not disappointed at all.

It was comforting to find out that the issue didn’t fully follow the movie’s story line; only retaining one significant aspect, which was the character Marcus and his parental guardianship over Mindy (Hit-Girl).

The majority of this issue focuses on getting the reader caught up on what has been happening in Dave’s life since the end of Kick-Ass, as well as introducing the reader to Mindy’s new life as a normal little girl, and how it is a struggle for her. It also introduces a new Superhero that has been working with Dave, named Doctor Gravity. The topic of the issue is the creation of a super-team, much like the Justice league, and that is what seems the topic of this second installment of Kick-Ass is going to be about.

What I liked the most about this issue was the art of John Romita Jr. I am usually not a fan of his, as I feel as though he butchers a number of Marvel’s superheroes when he draws them. But when it comes to Kick-Ass it is just so natural and I could never have it drawn any of other way. As for the writing, I was pretty happy, as I usually am when it comes to Mark Millar. I was poking around the internet, and based on what I have read it seems like Mark Millar is going to be taking Kick-Ass to the next level and it seems like there is going to be a hint of Wanted in this new series, pertaining to story type, language and characterization.

Overall, I was thoroughly pleased with this issue and I feel like the second installment of Kick-Ass is going to be better than I originally thought, and that is a very good thing if you ask me. I hope I am not the only one who feels this way. I am just extremely happy that the series is not following the movie and hopefully the next issues of Kick-Ass 2 will be just as good.

8 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment