Friday, February 11

Spongebob Squarepants #1 Comic Book Review



It is finally here, everyone’s favorite underwater creature is finally featured in his own comic, and no I am not talking about Aquaman, I’m talking about the lovable Spongebob Squarepants.






This is the first issue of this new series from Bongo Comics, and it was surprisingly really good. When I hear that this issue was coming out I was not opposed to reading the comic, but I wasn’t interested. It was strongly suggested that I read it by a friend of mine, and I am glad that I did.

The comic features a number of short stories with Spongebob and his friends Patrick and Squidward. The stories are all fun and exciting, filled with comedy and witty situations. The art in the book is also great, for the most part. Each story features different artists, and they were all pretty good, aside from one that was just not very detailed, but since this is a kids comic, that doesn’t really matter.

I consider myself to be a kid at heart, so seeing all of the different features of the comic that market towards kids was great. One of the stories allows the reader to draw and name a hairstyle for Spongebob, there is a huge double page pull out pin-up poster in the middle of the back, there is a make your own joke page by following a number of different screens, it is just great that the book has so much content for its reader and that is it enjoyable for all ages.

The one downside to the issue is the price, yes it is the standard 2.99 for the issue, but I have always advocated that the comic industry should make the price of kids comics less than the normal price since they are marketed towards a younger age group. At least it was in the lower price bracket, I guess that is better than nothing.

Overall, this was a great issue and was enjoyable throughout its entire duration. I was glad it was recommended to me, and I would definitely recommend it to any one who enjoys comedy and fun. Definitely great for all ages.

8.5 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment