Thursday, July 8

Wonder Woman 600 Review


The first thing I noticed about this issue is the great cast of writers and artists that are featured throughout the book. Everybody from Wonder Woman regulars such as Gail Simone, to people you didn’t think you’d see on a Wonder Women comic cover, such as Phil Jimenez. So even though I have never taken the time to read a Wonder Woman comic, I knew that this issue should be beautifully written and illustrated.

Since I’ve never read a Wonder Woman comic, and all I really knew about the character is that she was an Amazonian and that she had a golden lasso of truth, so it is safe to say that I was worried that I would have no idea what was going on, but low and behold everything turned out okay and I was only lost sometimes.

Like many other milestone issues, Wonder Women was made up of a few short stories, some self-contained, and some that finished up and started new chapters in this characters long running series. In addition, the issue featured an overwhelming amount of pin-ups of the Golden Princess done by many of today’s greatest comic artists, including an amazing two-page spread done by Phil Jimenez.

The main focus of the stories that were featured in this issue focused on how pivotal Wonder Woman is to the entire DC Universe, not just when it comes to fighting super-villains, but how important she is in her life as Diana, as well as how she is the female role-model that every female character looks to for help and guidance.

This issue took the term “milestone” to a whole new level, gaining national recognition due to the introduction of Wonder Woman’s new costume design. This new design was created by Jim Lee to coincide with J. Michael Stracynski’s taking over the Wonder Woman franchise. In my opinion, the new costume design looks great, and is a refreshing change for the character, especially because she has remained relatively untouched costume wise for the last seventy years.

Overall, this issue was way better than I thought it would be. There were some very great stories; I was especially fond of the one written and drawn by Amanda Connor, she never fails to amaze me. I think the thing that made the issue so great was the addition of the pin ups throughout the issue, it helped split up the stories perfectly, and had me looking back over and over again.

8.5 out of 10

*Originally Posted on Chris' Comics Official Website

No comments:

Post a Comment