Wednesday, July 14

Harvey Pekar




I just found out that Comic Legend Harvey Pekar passed away yesterday.
I instantly made a loud sigh.
After reading an article and thinking about what he meant to me, I surprised myself by crying...a lot.

Harvey Pekar was a sort of average guy.  He was smart, sure.  But worked an average job.  Not a super star or an athlete.  He met some people in the indy comics scene, Namely Robert Crumb.  And got the idea of writing about his average life.  Just doodles.  Stick figures.  He couldn't draw for crap.  He never made a comic book before. Yet he didn't let any of these fears stop him.
 he just wrote. and created.
I don't know how many people comic creators he has inspired.  He was an ordinary guy, yet a visionary.

Harvey, thank you.
I wouldn't have loved comics, if not for you.  I wouldn't have tried to create my own, if not for you.  I probably wouldn't run my store, or this website , if not for you.  So thank you, sir.

I will miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment