Thursday, July 15

First Look at Green Lantern

The new issue of Entertainment Weekly
Tomorrow's issue of Entertainment Weekly features the exclusive first look at the Green Lantern movie, with the first glimpse of Ryan Reynolds in the GL uniform featured on the cover. The image hit the net today in the kickoff of what will be a push to get some initial exposure for the film.

I'll admit that I'm a little surprised by the uniform - I'm really torn between the interesting new look and the traditionalist in me who wants to see a more literal translation of GL's iconic uniform from the comics.  It's hard not to get so excited by seeing my favorite character brought to life.  I mean, it's not like they gave the costume bat-nipples or anything, right?

Okay, well after looking at the image a lot today I do hope this isn't the final version.  My hope, and an idea that others on the Internet have mirrored, is that this is Green Lantern as the uniform is being created on  him by the ring and not the final product with Warner Brothers orchestrating this to get some press before revealing the actual uniform in the movie footage that we should be seeing in the next week or so.  But it does bear a striking resemblance to the uniform that Tomar-Re was wearing in  the concept art that was leaked a while back.  To me that's a big gamble since this is a major publication that is capable of reaching a far bigger audience and might turn some people off.  It's also a promotional image and there's a tiny chance that if this isn't a mid-transformation image it could not be the finalized uniform. 
 
I love how they are making Reynolds eyes white behind a mask versus trying to make it look like there are white lenses, and the mask looks great.  I also kinda dig the green energy lines, but miss the white gloves and black parts of the costume that accented the green portions of the costume.  But again, the uniform is going to be a structure created by the ring, so we can hope that this is a mid-transformation shot of the uniform in the process of being formed.  But I'll also say that I'm disappointed in the use of the original logo and not the tweaked version that Ethan VanSciver debuted with in Green Lantern: Rebirth.

But I could be completely won over once I see some moving images of Hal in action....and know that the costume isn't changing in the comics to reflect the movie version.
Reynolds and Lively

Other promotional images that hit the Internet today include a first peek at Blake Lively as Carol Ferris, coming with the first official photo confirming that she would be coloring her hair for the movie.  It also shows Reynolds wearing Hal's iconic bomber jacket.  Another picture shows Hal with a ring hovering over his hand.  Other images reveal Hector Hammond's "before picture" and Hammond in the secret bunker next to the remains of Abin Sur just prior to having the accident that gives him his abilities.  Rounding out the images was promotional photo of Tim Robbins as Senator Hammond and Angela Bassett's Amanda Waller looking at the deformed Hector Hammond portrayed by Peter Sarsgaard.


Waller observes the Hammonds
In other movie news, Green Lantern will be front and center at Comic-con where we should see our first moving images in teaser footage that will debut during a GL movie panel on Saturday.  It was reported by US weekly that Ryan Reynolds separated his shoulder earlier this week during the filming of an unnamed scene.  The report said that while he has been in a great deal of pain and had had ice on the injury, he continued to show up on the set and the injury didn't affect production.  However this report was debunked today as someone on the set of the film contacted ComicBookMovie.com and set the record straight.  The tipster said that a memo did go out to all the members of the production warning that the starting of rumors could lead to being fired from the film.







For more news and information on Green Lantern film and comic news and reviews of the Green Lantern comics, visit the Blog of Oa.

Enhanced by Zemanta

3 comments:

  1. I am not going to lie...this costume really disappoints me. Yet again, comic to movie translation seems to be failing me once again. First off, his eyes are really creeping me out...it just looks so strange. Maybe its the picture quality online, or maybe its just me? I dunno. All I do know is I am a little creeped out.

    More importantly, What is up with the skeletal muscle costume? With pulsating green lighting going through it? It looks more like he got his skin ripped off, except for his head skin and that was under there. Its going to look strange, almost like Angelina Jolie in the god awful movie Beowulf when she had computer animated skin with no nipples etc. I dunno, I guess we will have to see....

    ReplyDelete
  2. After taking some time to get over the initial enthusiasm, I've gotta agree with you. Here's hoping that this is a mid-transformational promotional still. I guess I'm not going to pass a final judgment until I see a trailer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It should have been a practical effect not CG.

    ReplyDelete