Wednesday, May 26

Review: Astonishing X-Men Xenogenesis 1

















Astonishing X-Men: Xenogenesis #1 (of 5)
Writer: Warren Ellis
Artist: Kaare Andrews

The moment of truth has arrived. After the release of jarring promotional art for the new (but not really improved) Astonishing X-Men mini-series, the first issue finally hit stands two weeks ago and I now feel as though I can reveal my informed opinion after reading Ellis and Andrews' take on all things Astonishing.

You may recall my original post in which I critiqued (quite negatively) the first promotional image (this issue's cover) for the series. I could deal with most of the characters' new looks, but Emma looked horrendous and - having read the first issue - that opinion still holds true. Most of the characters actually look better in the interiors. The covers that have been released suggest a style that leans toward caricature, which thankfully is barely present once the book is opened. Cyclops, Wolverine, and Beast are pretty much perfect. I must commend Andrews on bringing back Storm's mohawk (I was orginally one of its biggest detractors, but it really fits his style) and Armor is acceptable, although I wish she looked more like a teenager and less like an eight year old girl. The one week link, just like on the cover art, is Emma. I cannot get over the exaggerated breasts and buttox, the ridiculous hair, the ugly (yes, ugly) face, and the beyond stupid costume. There are approximately two panels in which she looks somewhat acceptable, one of which is pictured above. I must commend Andrews however, on his unique style that - minus Emma - proves to be, if nothing else, an interesting deviation for the X-universe. If only we could (and I think Jared will agree) remove Emma, we would have an undoubtedly flawed, but generally stylish and fun-looking book on our hands.

What the art is lacking, Warren Ellis makes up for in the script department. His writing is fast, witty, and sometimes...

If you're interested, continue reading here.

2 comments:

  1. I wonder why Kaare Andrews changed his style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah me too. I don't know much of his work, but I flipped through Spiderman Reign and dug his art in that. He also drew one of the Astonishing X-Men Ghost Box mini-issues that was pretty cool too.

    ReplyDelete