Sunday, December 26

The Cape


The Cape is the second book that has been released by veteran writer Joe Hill, and up and coming writer Jason Ciaramella. The story of the Cape is originally a short story by Hill that is featured in his collection of short stories “20th Century Ghosts”. The last story that these two writers worked on was a one-shot entitled “Kodiak. If you have not check it out, do yourself a favor and do so, it is nothing less amazing, and The Cape is no different.


The Cape follows the story of a man named Eric, who like any little kid spent most of his days outside playing games with his brother, pretending to be heroes, but in Eric’s case he also sported a cape. Eric learns that his cape is not just an ordinary piece of clothes, but it has magical properties that would be stripped away from him before he got a change to get acquainted.


I have been a fan of Hill since the first time I read “Locke and Key”, and the work of Ciaramella was great in “Kodiak” so I was not worried about the writing going into this book, so all I was left with to critique was the art. When I first started reading the issue, I thought that the work looked familiar and at first I thought it was the work of artist Sean Murphy, but after looking at the inside cover of I saw that it was the art of Zach Howard. Howard has a style that has a rough feel to it, but also has a sense of perfection as well.


The issue ends with an event that I did not expect, I won’t ruin the ending like some other reviews have, but the ending is out of this world and will make any reader wish that more issues would be released following this storyline and character. Lucky for you, there will be three more issues that follows Eric and continues off of the spectacular ending of the first issue.


If you are looking for a new mini-series to read, or if you are just looking for something new to check out, check out The Cape, you will not be disappointed at all.


10 out of 10

2 comments:

  1. I purchased The Cape solely on your ringing endorsement and was very impressed. Thank you for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad my review came in handy and glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete