Sunday, December 5

Wolverine: The Best There Is



As comic readers looked on the shelf this week, they noticed yet again another Wolverine title. When I saw that this book was coming out, I initially thought that it was a one-shot, since Marvel has the habit of putting out more than a few Wolverine related one-shots, but I was wrong.

Wolverine: The Best There Is, is yet another Wolverine on-going title to go along with his other main title (Wolverine Goes to Hell) and all the other team titles that he is part of. When I found this out, I was very disillusioned, the Wolverine one-shots are usually entertaining at least, but I firmly believe that Wolverine is an over-worked character who, although I am a fan of the character, I do not believe that he needs all of these books, especially, as more and more are made the quality drops.

Which brings me to the quality of this book. I feel as though Marvel decided that they wanted to make an over the top, bloody, gory Wolverine title to appeal to a more mature reader, or to someone that doe not know anything about comics and just wants to read a book with tons of action and blood. If Marvel really wanted to make a quality Wolverine title that appealed to these types of readers they would have done a Wolverine MAX title, that wouldn’t have to bleep out every swear in the book and they could really make it a mature title.
In addition, if the Marvel wanted a serious Wolverine title they would have got a better writer to create the story and implement it, because the writing of author Charlie Huston really did nothing for the title and the story line that they are pursuing is uninteresting and run of the mill, but what can you expect from a character that has really been used in almost every storyline.

The only saving grace of the issue was the art of Juan Jose Ryp, whose art slightly reminded of my Mike Choi (Target-X, X-Force), who is one of my favorite artists. It was very detailed, and crisp and the coloring by colorist Andres Mossa were also well done. Sadly though, it was not enough to save the book.
Overall, this new series is a sad attempt to make a mature Wolverine title, full of unoriginal action scenes, a boring storyline, a bunch of blood, and what seemed like repeating frames throughout the whole issue. If it weren’t for the art, the book would have been a total flop. If I were you, I would check out one of Wolverines other 1000 books and move on, wait for Wolverine MAX instead, if it’s ever made.

2.0 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment