Thursday, May 5

Free Comic Book Day Reviews


A Quick Review of the Freebies
From Saturday

So, I'm waiting and waiting for the weekly comic list to come out and all I keep seeing is promotions for Free Comic Book Day. Well, after confronting my local comic shop about the over-due list of titles, he asks me to do him a favor. Namely, do some quick blurbs on the Free Comic Book Day books. I'm not one to say no to a good thing, so I graciously accepted the offer and started pouring over the new material. I have to say this; I was not expecting what I got. Some of these free books (Freebies) are worth there literal weight and more. I'd have gladly paid three dollars to own them. So, here's my take on some of the books you can pick up this:
Saturday, May 7th at any Comic Shop supporting Free Comic Book Day!


Magic the Gathering: Path of the Planeswalker II

The MtG Planeswalker world is big. There's no other way to put it. This little book deals with two of the major characters and announces the coming of new Magic the Gathering titles. The book's art is fantastically done, though the framing is a little confusing at first. The origin story of Garruk Wildspeaker is a great teaser for the upcoming series. The free book was a little short to warrant me paying three dollars for it, but for free why not! If the new Magic the Gathering series promises about double the pages and a current sized book, I'll definitely be picking up this title. Incidentally, the preview promises special cards to accompany the comics. A little added incentive that may have me playing the Trading Card Game again.

Teens (12+)


Elric: The Balance Lost

This promises to a book on my list for new upcoming titles. The art has a bit of a gore tinge to it, which my may not be appropriate for some of the younger readers, but I'm a big boy and I liked it. I was completely unaware of this comic before reviewing this book. This freebie gave me a nice little time-line of previous Elric titles and back story, plus five pages of sketch art for the upcoming series. As I said, I'll be picking this one up in July and I'm planning on searching out the previous titles to keep me entertained in the mean time. Worth a look at the very least.

Teens (12+)


Locke & Key

What a surprise to open this book! It's a reprint, sure, but I mean come on! What a reprint! Not only am I saddened that I've been skipping this title, but I have that itch to hit up my local shop and pray the trades are in stock. This is a three dollar book - FOR FREE! Locke & Key gives up some great action, pretty pictures and an awesome story that I fell right into. Now I want more! It's aimed for a more mature audience, but given that it's written by the son of Stephen King, you shouldn't be surprised. With a nice little "What you need to know:" section on the back of the front cover you should be fine just picking this one up and being sucked in. Like I was. There's even mention of an inspired TV series premiering on FOX sometime in the near future! What more could you want from a free comic!

Mature (17+)

No comments:

Post a Comment