Thursday, May 5

Free Comic Book Day Reviews Part 2

To continue on with what Gwelch has already posted, here are additional reviews for some of the free issues offered at the upcoming Free Comic Book Day. I was also pleasantly surprised by the quality of the books I read and send out kudos to the publishers for releasing some excellent material this year.



Super Dinosaur
Image
Friendly for all ages, upbeat and lighthearted action. (Go elsewhere for grit.) “Super” art, very fun story, excellent origin issue with entertaining supplemental material in the back (character bios and art). Kirkman and Howard are a great team who put together first-rate comics and have yet to disappoint and this freebie is no exception. The kid friendliness doesn't prevent older readers from enjoying it as well. It's far from Walking Dead but spot on for a super time.
4 out of 4


Locke & Key
IDW
Mature readers ONLY. Action packed and fast paced, however the quick recap at the beginning of the book isn’t enough to help the reader get to know the characters/plot if they haven't read previous issues (at least not enough for me). I enjoyed the art, the details were definitely well done, even though the shadow characters did remind me of the shadows from Kingdom Hearts. Very interesting concept that makes me curious to know more (and read more), but I don't think this free issue was the best hook to bring in new readers.
2 out of 4


Young Justice
DC
Friendly for all ages, upbeat and lighthearted action. Very fun, animated/cartoon look which slides in nicely with the ongoing comic series as well as the TV show. Single shot freebie story allows for a pleasant dose of character introduction, a quick action plot and only a little bit of cheese. I enjoy seeing “sidekicks” handled with care and I think this series is really trying to do so. Great one-shot if you were curious about the series but hadn't had a chance to pick it up before.
3 out of 4


Baltimore
Dark Horse
Mature readers ONLY. Traditional Mignola (author) in story and feel – if you enjoy his style you will probably enjoy the book - equal parts macabre and mystery. The really heavy plot elements give you a lot to process for a 14 page story, but I think it is handled well and isn't so overpowering that it will be off-putting . The artwork is very well done and lends itself beautifully to the story with simple, powerful lines and commanding shadows as well as keeping within Mignola's style.
2.5 out of 4


Star Wars: The Clone Wars
Dark Horse
Fairly kid friendly, small amount of violence so I would recommend keeping away from the very young kids. There is a nice intro by the Dark Horse team, but the story feels rushed, even taking into consideration that they are dropping you in amongst events that are already in motion. Not enough of a hook to draw me into reading more in the series (even with a deep love of Star Wars). The art leaves something to be desired as well – I wish it would have kept more of the feel of the TV show.
1 out of 4


Avatar
Dark Horse
Friendly for all ages, upbeat and lighthearted action. Two quick short stories bundled in one issue – what a deal!...(for free). The artwork was definitely my favorite part of this freebie; it holds true to the look and feel that the animated series had and manages to keep the energy up within still frames. Although the stories are short, they are well paced and just fun to read. It doesn't hurt if you are already a little familiar with the characters/story of Avatar, but, as a single comic issue, I think it has enough pull to entice you into becoming a fan, if not already.
3 out of 4


Here's hoping you get a chance to pick up some of these books and others and enjoy what 2011 Free Comic Book Day has to offer!

1 comment:

  1. Aw, you didn't like Locke & Key? I liked that one the best. Even with the short intro, I thought the book itself (being an issue) was a great way to trap new readers! I agree with you on the mature readers only and the shadows reminding me of the Heartless from Kingdom Hearts.

    Also, I skimmed the dual Avatar/Clone Wars Book and I agree with you there as well. I thought Avatar was the better of the two, but I didn't rate it as high. Clone Wars was almost too fast. I found myself re-reading frames to see if I missed something. The art felt a little bland, but I'm by no means an expert on art, so never take my word on that kind of stuff unless I am really emphatic about it.

    ReplyDelete