Monday, September 20

X-23 #1

For some time I have known that X23 was going to be getting her own series, not only because it was announced awhile ago, but also because her rising popularity over the last 4 years or so made it apparent that Marvel would soon try to start her with her own series.

I cannot say that I was hopeful for this comic. Instead of condemning this book from the start I decided that I would at least read it and give it a shot.

When I first looked at this book I said to myself, “man I hope the art on the cover isn’t that art that is on the inside”, and lucky me, it wasn’t. I actually really enjoyed the art of Will Conrad. He has a very unique style and made many of the characters look almost real, while maintaining that comic feel. Another thing I enjoyed about this book was the writing of Marjorie Liu, which before I read the book, I thought was going to be he only saving grace about the series. Her writing is really well done, and she is one of the best, if not the best female comic writers in the business today.

Now let me get to the meat and potatoes of the book. When I first opened this issue, the story began with X23 in what seemed to be Hell, which then made it click that I remember that this series is going to be initially tied in with the new ongoing Wolverine series by Jason Aaron, Wolverine Goes to Hell. The story quickly transitioned into another story about X23 not fitting in with anyone, just like the rest of her series; aside from X-Force, which if you ask was the best place for her and I am still disappointed that she is not part of now that they have introduced the new team. So the fact that it wasn’t anything new really was pretty disappointing, but it was still interesting enough with many good dialogue sessions between X23 and the other X-Men.

I have always enjoyed X23 as a support and supplementary character in comics, and even as the main character in a limited series, but I have always strongly believed that she does not have the lasting power that can support her own ongoing series.

Overall, I didn’t think that the story was too bad. It is interesting enough to warrant me checking out the first arc of the series, which I was happy about; I always like it when I am wrong about a book being bad. If you are an X-Men fan, an X23 fan, or if you are reading the Wolverine Goes To Hell storyline then definitely check this book out.

8 out of 10


Originally Posted on the Chris' Comic Official Website

No comments:

Post a Comment