Friday, August 20

Locke and Key: Keys to the Kingdom #1


Locke & Key: Keys to the Kingdom is the newest installment to the Locke & Key series from Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez. Since I have never read an issue from the Locke and Key series before, but I had always heard that it was great, so I was happy to check it out.

The first thing that I think needs to be mentioned about this book is the art of Gabriel Rodriquez. First and foremost, the page layouts he uses are the most unique and interesting page layouts I have ever experienced. Rodriquez uses the middle of the page for his primary art consisting of four equal size squares, while the area around it is used for more graphic and detailed art, it’s astounding to say the least. On top of an awesome page layout Rodriquez’s art has this reminiscent feeling of Charles Shultz (Charlie Brown), even though his art is fairly detailed. I really enjoyed the intricate, yet simple feel to it.

The story by Joe Hill had a perfect contrast to it, showing how the soul of a person can effect their whole being, perfectly balancing a destructive to innocent ratio, which was able to feed both side of my person who looks for a solid story with solid emotion, as well as a good amount of violence as well. Another key aspect of Hill’s writing that I enjoyed was the dialogue he used, it was on par if not better than Brian Michael Bendis (New Avengers), who I consider to be one of the best dialogue writers in the business.

As for the issue itself, the first issue of Keys to the Kingdom is a touching story of childhood, as well as a story of jealousy and rage, a very interesting combo if you ask me. Bode discovers the animal key while in the park one day, and uses it to begin a very touching adventure of fun, love, and death. The story kept me on the edge of my chair the entire time and I was sad to see the issue end.

One of the best parts of this issue was the fact that even though I was a first time reader I was able to pick up on the nature of the characters and the storyline of the series, which is a definite plus. In addition, the story itself was self-contained and even if the reader chose not to read the next issue, there was conflict resolution at the end of the issue. Overall this issue was near perfect, which is why I am giving it a:

10 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment